NOTICE TO FIREARM TRAINING FACILITIES AND INSTRUCTORS
ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS AS EVIDENCE OF
U.S. CITIZENSHIP OR U.S. PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS
WHEN APPLYING FOR A BSIS FIREARM PERMIT:
Initial Application AND Renewal of Firearm Permit
Bureau-certified Firearm Training Facilities/Instructors are required to verify the U.S. citizenship or permanent U.S. residency status of any individual seeking firearm training, for the purpose of obtaining or renewing a Bureau Firearm Permit, prior to offering the firearms training course. This information can also be found in Attachment 1 of the Bureau-issued Firearms Training Manual.
Any initial or renewal Firearm Permit Application submitted to the Bureau without this required information will be sent back to the applicant with instructions to return the form to the instructor who completed the applicant’s firearm training for the instructor to:
- Confirm the applicant’s citizenship/residency status,
- Complete the citizenship/residency information on the application form, and
- Sign the application form to certify that the citizenship/residency documents were reviewed.
Business and Professions Code Section 7583.23(e)
Business and Professions Code Section 7583.32(b)(4)
Business and Professions Code Section 7585.8(a)
Business and Professions Code Section 7596.3(f)
Firearm Training Facilities: You are statutorily responsible for the verification of the U.S. citizenship/residency requirements, and certification of this documentation on the firearms qualification application page. Please ensure the instructors associated with your Bureau-Firearm Training Facility certificate are aware of this requirement and adhere to these guidelines.
DOCUMENTS ACCEPTABLE AS EVIDENCE OF
U.S. CITIZENSHIP OR U.S. PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS:
- Alien Registration Receipt Card [green card] (INS Form I-151 or AR-3a; issued by INS prior to June 1978) -- This card must contain a photograph of the bearer.
- Permanent Resident Card [green card] (INS Form I-551, revised edition of INS Form I-151) -- This card must contain a photograph of the bearer.
- Certificate of Naturalization (INS Form N-550 or N-570) -- This certificate must contain a photograph of the bearer with a dry seal over the photograph.
- United States Citizen Identification Card (INS Form I-197) -- INS no longer issues these cards, however, once issued, they do not expire. Card must contain photo & physical description.
- Identification Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (INS Form I-179) -- INS stopped issuing this card in 1977; however, once issued, they do not expire. Card must contain photograph.
- Certificate of United States Citizenship (INS Form N-560 or N-561)
- Certificate of Birth abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or form DS-1350)
- Native American Tribal documents
- United States Military ID card or DD214, Geneva Convention Identification card for Active Military Person
- Report of Separation [military discharge] (Form DD-214)
- Birth Certificate showing birth in the United States, American Samoa, District of Columbia, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Swains Island, or United States Virgin Islands
- United States Passport Book (unexpired) or United States Passport Card (unexpired)
- Permit to Re-enter the United States (INS Form I-327)
- Refugee or parolee documents only if accompanied by INS Form I-151, AR-3a, or I-551
- Temporary Resident Card (INS Form I-688) ONLY IF the reverse side of the card displays a sticker that bears the seal of the U.S. Department of Justice issued by INS evidencing temporary proof of citizenship or permanent residence.
DOCUMENTS NOT ACCEPTABLE AS EVIDENCE OF U.S.
CITIZENSHIP OR U.S. PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS
- Temporary Resident Card (INS Form I-688) if reverse side of card missing information detailed in item 15 above.
- Employment Authorization Card (INS Form I-688A, I-688B, and I-766)
- Refugee or parolee documents unless accompanied by INS Form I-151, AR-3a, or I-151
- Employment Eligibility Verification (INS Form I-9)
- Driver's License
- Social Security Card
- Foreign Passport
- Voter Registration
- School Identification Card
- Hospital Record
- Arrival/Departure Record (INS Form I-94)