Private Patrol Operator
The Private Security Services Act requires a private patrol operator (PPO) to obtain a general liability insurance policy with a minimum coverage of one million dollars ($1,000,000) for each occurrence for initial licensure, and to have the required insurance in effect at the time of license renewal and for the continued maintenance of the license. (Business and Professions Code Sections 7583.39 and 7583.40)
To demonstrate compliance with the insurance requirement, a Certificate of Liability Insurance is to be provided to the Bureau:
- At the time of initial licensure;
- When the policy expires and is renewed;
- When a policy expires and a new policy is secured; or
- Upon the Bureau's request.
The Certificate of Liability should be submitted to the Bureau by the insurer or the insurer's agent or broker electronically to PPOInsurance@dca.ca.gov or by mail to P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798.
The Certificate of Liability Insurance must satisfy ALL the following requirements:
- Specify the PPO company name (name should align with name associated with BSIS license).
- Specify the PPO license number. (NOTE: Given that a PPO applicant does not yet have a license number, this information is not required with the Certificate submitted at the time of application.)
- Specify the insurance policy number, and start and end dates of the policy period.
- Reflect the general liability insurance policy covers a minimum of one million dollars ($1,000,000) of liability for each occurrence;
- Indicate Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798" in the Certificate Holder section for the purposes of the Bureau being notified of a change in policy status.
- Reflect the General Liability Insurance policy provides "occur" or "occurrence" coverage. "Claims made" coverage is not permitted because it does not cover an incident that occurred during the policy term if the claim is filed after the policy term.
Questions regarding the liability insurance requirements for PPO licenses may be submitted to the Bureau by email toPPOInsurance@dca.ca.gov. General questions regarding PPO licenses may be submitted by email to PrivateSecurityServices@dca.ca.gov or you may call 800-952-5210 or 916-322-4000. Due to high call volumes, the Bureau suggests contact by email.